Your cool man News And real estate Blog
Morning, people of Tampa! It’s me again, Carlos Hernandez, your host of the Tampa Daily.
Want to support local news in Tampa? Become a Patch Supporter for just $5 per month and help keep the Tampa Daily going, plus get other exclusive perks. Click here to learn more.
First, today’s weather:
Rain and a thunderstorm. High: 78 Low: 66.
Here are the top stories in Tampa today:
1. Lawmakers in Florida’s House of Representatives voted in favor of moving forward with plans to remove the state from the federal OSHA program. Democrats have reminded the public that if the plan is passed, the governor’s plans would still need to receive federal approval, which would take 2 to 5 years, and must meet OSHA standards by law regardless. (WTSP)
2. The third Fresco Y Mas Grocery store has opened on Palm River Road in Tampa. The store will focus on on celebrating Hispanic culture and the unique flavors of the community with a selection of fruits and vegetables, a cafeteria, butcher, baked goods, and more. The grocery store gave a $1,000 donation to Clair Mel Elementary School as part of its grand opening celebration. (Patch Tampa)
3. Workers at the Tampa International Airport (TPA) with The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) spoke out this week against what they say are low wages and poor working conditions that could leave their families hungry while others are enjoying their holiday meals. The rally included spokespeople for Rep. Charlie Crist and Rep. Michele Rayner, St. Pete Councilman-elect Richie Floyd, Senate candidate Eunic Ortiz, DSA, and more. The airport responded and said, “The Service Employees International Union does not represent employees who work for the Hillsborough County Aviation Authority, which operates Tampa International Airport,” but “does represent some employees who work for tenants [companies] that do business at TPA.” (Creative Loafing)
4. Online real estate company Zillow is laying off 17 employees in Tampa as it shuts down its Zillow Offers program. The layoffs will begin January 3rd and last throughout 2022, impacting employees at the downtown office on Ashley Drive. The company’s third quarter revenue was $1.7 billion. (Business Observer)
5. The restaurant inspection process for Florida’s first Michelin guide is currently underway and ratings will be released in 2022. Visit Tampa Bay says the guide will bring new tourism to the local dining scene. Local chefs and bloggers are both enthusiastic. Some critics question the price tag of the guide for taxpayers which has not been released to the public. (ABC Action News)
Today’s Tampa Daily is brought to you by Newrez, a leading nationwide mortgage lender. Make a smart move for your future and refinance with Newrez today. Call 844-979-1707 to connect with a Newrez loan officer. Newrez, LLC (NMLS #3013)
Today in Tampa:
- Holiday Shopping Event – Tampa Museum of Art. (11:00 AM)
- Downtown Tampa Food Truck Rally. (6:00 PM)
- Bar Method Class At Armature Works. (6:30 PM)
- Girls Basketball @ Lennard – Robinson High. (7:00 PM)
- 9 to 5 The Musical – The University of Tampa College of Arts and Letters. (8:00 PM)
Tampa Patch Notebook
- Humane Society of Tampa Bay: “This mother-daughter duo was looking for a calm dog to bring some light and happiness back into the home. The mom had lost her best friend a couple of years ago and the grief had been difficult. Our staff immediately thought of P…” (Facebook)
- Tampa Bay Lightning: “Ever wonder what energizes your favorite guys? Well, we’ve got you covered each month with our Bolts Blends. ☕️ First up: the Vasy.” (Facebook)
- City of Tampa: “We’d like to congratulate our new Director of the City Planning Department, Stephen Benson! Stephen has over a decade of experience in urban planning and land use policy and has served as the City’s Chief Planner since October 2020. He j…” (Facebook)
- Midtown Tampa: “Introducing “Ecosystem” the large-scale sculpture installation commissioned from internationally acclaimed OKUDART reflects Tampa and the surrounding environment. The animal world is represented by the birth of a sea turtle, a natural ev…” (Facebook)
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
You’re all caught up for today. See you all tomorrow morning for another update! If you’re enjoying these newsletters, consider bringing some of your friends and neighbors on board. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Tampa Daily? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.