HOUSTON – (Saturday, July 31, 2021) – Real salt lake (5-4-6, 21 points) played a goalless draw with Houston Dynamo FC on Saturday night at BBVA Stadium in Houston, Texas. Goalkeeper Zac MacMath made four saves for the fourth shutout of the year for RSL, who moved to 2-2-2 on the road that season.
Quotes after the game by RSLvHOU.
Click here to watch Freddy Juarez’s post-game video.
Click here to watch Ashtone Morgan’s post-game video.
Click here to view the Zac MacMath post game video.
In the first half, RSL shot four shots on goal at Houston’s two while controlling 55% of possession. Maikel Chang’s 11th-minute left-footed shot was hit with a save by Houston’s goalkeeper Marko Maric, who pushed the ball off the post. Damir Kreilach was the first to rebound, but his putback header was again saved by Maric. Albert Rusnák and Justin Meram also challenged Maric, forcing the Houston goalkeeper to stretch for saves to go goalless into halftime.
In the second half, a resilient RSL held off a late attack from Houston after defender Justen Glad was sent off with a second yellow card in the 87th minute. MacMath made two late saves to keep the 0-0 result and earn a road point.
NEXT: RSL will continue its three-game street course against the LA Galaxy on Wednesday at Dignity Health Sports Park. Kick-off is scheduled for 8:30 p.m. MT.
– Zac MacMath made his 150th career MLS appearance in this match.
– Forward Douglas Martinez was unavailable after the 2020 Tokyo Olympics concluded. Honduras went 1-2-0 in the group stage. He will be available on his return.
– Goalkeeper David Ochoa and defenders Toni Datković, Andrew Brody and Zack Farnsworth were unavailable due to injuries.
– Former Real Salt Lake and RSL Academy forward Corey Baird made his Houston Dynamo FC debut after joining LAFC in a trade earlier this week.
– Real Salt Lake started with two homegrown players from the RSL Academy and two players who were previously under contract with the Real Monarchs in the USL championship. In addition, two products from the RSL Academy and two former monarchs sat on the bench for head coach Freddy Juarez.
Game: Real Salt Lake at Houston Dynamo FC
Venue: BBVA Stadium, Houston, Texas
Weather: Partly cloudy and 88
Real Salt Lake (4-2-31): Zac MacMath; Aaron Herrera, Justen Glad, Marcelo Silva, Ashtone Morgan; Nick Besler, Damir Kreilach (Erik Holt 90 ‘+ 2); Maikel Chang (Jonathan Menendez 64 ‘), Albert Rusnák (Everton Luiz 90’ + 2), Justin Meram (Anderson Julio 74 ‘); Bobby Wood (Rubio Rubin 74 ‘).
Unused Subs: Andrew Putna, Donny Toia, Justin Portillo, Pablo Ruiz.
Houston Dynamo FC (4-2-31): Marko Maric; Zarek Valentin, Tim Parker, teenagers Hadebe, Sam Junqua; Darwin Ceren, Matias Vera; Griffin Dorsey (Derrick Jones 84 ‘), Joe Corona, Memo Rodriguez (Corey Baird 62’); Mateo Bajamich (Tyler Pasher 62 ‘).
Unused subs: Michael Nelson, Adam Lundqvist, Alejandro Fuenmayor, Maynor Figueroa, Ian Hoffman, Boniek Garcia.
RSL: Justen Glad (caution) 40 ‘
RSL: Justen Glad (second warning / ejection) 87 ‘
RSL: Erik Holt (caution) 90 ‘+ 2
Referee: Guido Gonzalez Jr.
Assistant Referees: Nick Uranga, Jeff Hosking
4. Official: Kevin Broadley