Posted: 02/20/2020 / 9:32 AM CST
Updated: 2/20/2020 / 9:32 AM CST
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be out of date. Please see the timestamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Fat Tuesday is February 25th this year, and while we’re a full 6 hour drive from New Orleans, Houston does it with events, brunches, special menus, etc, and even our very own 2-weekend Mardi Gras. big in Galveston.
Scroll down to learn more about Houston Mardi Gras events, but first …
Here is everything you need to know before traveling to Mardi Gras in Galveston.
- The two week festival is February 14th & 15th and February 21st & 22nd this year. There are parades at different times and a big concert every evening.
- Get your tickets in advance – they are sold out for some of the packages and balconies. You can order your tickets online here. You can buy 2-day and 5-day tickets and even upgrade to balcony options.
- There are several options for that Balconies – they look pretty cool and definitely useful for the concert – the crowd is huge. Plus, you can throw pearls during the parades!
- BRING CASH. Everything (except the restaurants) is cash only. We didn’t plan accordingly and spent lots of dollars on ATM and bank charges.
- The good news is Drinks are very cheap. $ 5 beer and, if you find the right place, you can even get $ 5 seltzer. There are a few bars with normal beer options and there are souvenir shops on the beach that only function as bars. These spots have a greater variety that we found.
- dress up – the more ridiculous, the better. Funny makeup, wigs, and all that purple, gold, and green! Everything flies during Carnival! Even if you haven’t dressed up, it’s only a matter of minutes before you stumble upon a parade and someone hurls pearls at you.
- See what the weather is like – a duh, but gah, it was unexpectedly cold.
- Tickets have in-out privileges. We learned that when we returned to the car for more shifts thanks to unexpected cold.
- Park on the street and pay by phone. Parking on the street was $ 10 for the whole day, and I think garages could be a little more expensive. If you arrive early enough, you can snag a seat!
- It’s definitely a night thing. We went around noon / 1pm. We went to the Zaniest Golf Cart Parade which was fun! But then there was next to nothing going on until 4 or 5 when things started for the 6th concert. I would say it was kind of crazy – it was like we blinked and there were tons of people there!
- This brings this to another idea: Make it a stay! It felt a little ridiculous paying for a hotel when we drove home for just 45 minutes! But it felt even more ridiculous to go home at a decent hour – the party went on!
- To eat and drink! There aren’t too many bars and restaurants in the ticket area, however we liked Stuttgarden Tavern and Yaga’s to eat (at Yaga you had to wait a long time because it is RIGHT in the place where everything is going on. Later we went to Murphy’s Pub (dive and relax) and then Tsunami (young and funny).
Mardi Gras Galveston’s TLDR reads: go at night, get home safe, take twice as much cash as you think, and have fun!
Where to celebrate Carnival in HOUSTON!
Not in the mood for a whole carnival weekend? Take a closer look at these events in H-Stadt!
Mixers and Elixirs: Mardi Gras at the Houston Museum of Natural Science. Thursday, February 20, 7 to 10 p.m. Click here for more.
Downtown Houston Carnival Parade. Saturday, February 22nd, from 1 p.m. Click here for more.
4th Annual EaDo Mardi Gras pub crawl. Saturday, February 22nd, from 3 p.m. Tickets start at around $ 3. Click here for more.
Brennan’s Mardi Gras Brunch. Sunday, February 23, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Click here for more.
Mardi Gras crawfish cook at the Revival Market. Fat Tuesday, February 25th, 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. Plates start at $ 25 and specialty beers start at $ 3. Click here for more.
Mardi Craw at The Rustic. Fat Tuesday, February 25th, from 5:30 p.m. Tickets are $ 50. Click here for more.
Feast Before the Victim – A Mardi Gras dinner and art show. Fat Tuesday, February 25th, from 6 p.m. Tickets are $ 125. Click here for more.
Fat Tuesday at Jax on Shepherd. Fat Tuesday, February 25th, from 6 p.m. Click here for more.
Suggest a correction Correct
Suggest a correction Correct