Courtesy of Dr. Seuss Experience
Keep the summer going with the best kid-friendly activities in and around Houston this week from Monday August 9 through Sunday August 15, 2021.
This week, say goodbye to some popular Dr. Seuss characters, hop aboard an evening cruise, get up close and personal with life-size dinosaurs, stock up on supplies at a back-to-school event, and more.
Do you know of an event that could be included on the list? Write to us at [email protected] with a link to the official event details.
Scroll down to find great activities for kids and families taking place in Houston from Monday August 9 through Sunday August 15, 2021.
The 11 best activities for kids & families in Houston this week
- Final week: Dr. Seuss Experience at the George R. Brown Convention Center | Wednesday 11th August to Sunday 1st August5 – Take your last chance to meet characters and discover the magical world of Dr. Seuss before it closes this weekend. Get the chance to ride a carousel, meet the cat in the hat, get grumpy with the Grinch, and much more in this imaginative, interactive, and immersive exhibit. Tickets start at $ 23; free for children under 2 years. The times vary.
- Summer twilight boat tours on Buffalo Bayou | Wednesday August 11th & Thursday August 12th – Escape the summer heat as you glide along Buffalo Bayou on a 30-minute boat tour to spot native plants and wildlife such as herons, fish, turtles, and the occasional alligators. Tickets are $ 7; $ 5 for ages 4 to 12. Children under the age of 4 are not permitted on boat tours. The boats run from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Children’s stories at CityPlace | Thursday, August 12th | FREE – Bring the kids to hear stories from characters like Tinker Bell and other fairy friends at CityPlace this spring. 6 p.m.
- Bat walk and observation at the Lost Lake Visitor Center | Thursday, August 12th | FREE – Stroll from the Lost Lake Visitor Center in Buffalo Bayou Park to Waugh Drive Bridge with bat specialist Suzanne Jurek for an up-close look at the bat colony. Tickets are $ 5 for children 12 years and older; free for children under 12 years. 7.45pm to 9.15pm.
- Jurassic Quest at the NRG Center | Friday 13th August to Sunday 1st August5 – Walk among the dinosaurs at this indoor event that sends visitors through the Cretaceous, Jurassic, and Triassic periods to get up close and personal with realistic, life-size animatronic dinosaurs. Plus, you can dig fossils, enjoy baby dinosaur shows, and do arts and crafts, face painting, and more. Tickets start at $ 19 for children and adults; $ 33 for children unlimited rides. Prices may change due to busy times. Friday and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Silambam Houston presents Sharing Stories: Indian Dance, Theater & Flamenco at Miller Outdoor Theater | Friday, August 13th | FREE | Virtual option – Divided into 2 acts, this multi-faceted evening offers an intercultural conversation as Indian classical dance and Spanish folk traditions meet for a captivating, energetic dance performance, followed by an original Indian dance theater production, Chakryavyuh: Battle Against the Chances. This performance will be broadcast live on Miller Outdoor’s YouTube channel. Limited free tickets are available for covered seating. Seats on the hill are open to the public. 8:30 p.m.
- Mayor’s Back to School Festival in NRG Yellow Lot | Saturday, August 14th | FREE – Get ready for the first day of school when Mayor Sylvester Turner, in partnership with the Houston Food Bank and Shell, hands out 25,000 backpacks of basic school supplies, groceries, and personal protective equipment to students. This will be a drive-through event. Free of charge, but registration required. 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. while stocks last.
- Family day at the Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig Museum | Saturday August 14th – Every second Saturday of the month, the Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig Museum in Galveston explores a variety of topics through activities and experiments that demonstrate key aspects of the industry. This month you will learn more about the elasticity of polymers at the Needle Through a Balloon event. Tickets are $ 10; free for children under 18 with a paid adult ticket. 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Be our guest at the Houston Children’s Museum | Saturday August 14th – Take the kids in your life in their crowns and regal attire to a Disney-style princess party with characters like Ariel, Jasmine, Tiana, and more. Included in general admission; $ 12 for children 1 year and older; free for children under 1. 10 am to 4 pm.
- Free Comic Tag at participating comic bookstores | Saturday, August 14th | FREE – The annual Free Comic Book Day returns for 2021, offering comic books for free to anyone swinging through participating stores around the world. From superheroes and popular movie and TV shows to popular video games and stories for all ages, there is a book for everyone. Times and locations vary.
- Summer with the kids in Houston | Constantly – With weeks left for the kids, it’s time to explore every corner of Houston and discover the best entertainment and activities for everyone in the family, from free and budget-friendly options to unique experiences. Check out our summer guide to find out how to keep the kids and yourself busy during summer’s dog days.
Previous articleThis week’s 11 best things to do in Houston: August 9-15, 2021Next articleTop 5 games and sporting events in Houston this week: August 9-15, 2021
Shea Kummer is the mother of 3 active boys who live in Katy. She holds a degree in business administration from Texas Christian University and a background in social media management. When she’s not cheering her boys on, she’s looking for the best ways to make lasting family memories.